Adding Value with Home Repairs
From the experts at Pillar to Post Home Inspectors
- Bathrooms and the kitchen should be given a deep cleaning. Consider hiring a cleaning company that offers “move in / move out” cleaning services to do the job.
- If kitchen cabinet exteriors are in bad shape, refacing may be an option. Far less expensive than new cabinetry, refacing can give old and worn cabinets new life and can visually update a kitchen.
- Consider replacing kitchen or bathroom counters with a neutral colored laminate surface if the current material is badly worn or stained. This gives everything a fresh look and prevents potential buyers from focusing on an eyesore.
- Fresh paint on the walls and ceilings will do wonders for all rooms in the home. Stick with neutral colors so that buyers aren’t distracted by colors that make a statement. They’ll be able to imagine themselves and their furniture in the space much more easily.
- If carpet is covering hardwood floors, consider having it removed to expose the hardwood flooring. Hardwood floors are desirable, so they should be shown off. If carpet is staying, it goes without saying that should be thoroughly cleaned.
- If the entire exterior needs painting, do it. Buyers notice if paint is faded and peeling. If the paint is in good shape overall, renew the doors and trim with a fresh coat.
- Clean the windows inside and out so they sparkle. It’s amazing what a difference this can make in a home’s appearance. Hiring a professional window cleaning company is the easiest and safest way to get the job done on a multi-story home.
- Clear clutter from the yard, keep the lawn mowed, and trim any overgrown shrubs that detract from the home’s appearance. Your home should look well maintained even at first glance.
- Plant some bright, colorful flowers along the entry path and doorway to add a welcoming touch.
Save major remodeling projects—and the budget required—for your new
home, not the one you’re about to sell. But implementing some of the
steps above can increase the appeal to prospective buyers without a huge
investment in time or money, getting you on your way to your new home
For more information, visit www.pillartopost.com.